THE SOUND MAKING GRAVY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL FINAL EPISODE OF 2020!
Across two seasons in 2020, we’ve captured stunning live performances at iconic music venues and locations here in Australia and abroad, at a time when our live music industry was brought to its knees.
The list of performers is a dream line-up: from Kylie Minogue, Archie Roach, Nick Cave, Midnight Oil, Amy Shark, Guy Sebastian, Mary Seymour, Birds of Tokyo, Courtney Barnett, Missy Higgins, The Rubens, Jimmy Barnes, Tones And I, The Avalanches, Julia Jacklin, Bliss n Eso, Jessica Mauboy, Kate Ceberano, Something For Kate, Middle Kids and more….
To arresting newcomers such as BENEE, Sam Fischer, Miiesha, Ruel, Dallas Woods, Azure Ryder, Mia Wray and many others. Plus, incredible weekly ‘Tribute’ collaborations that have wowed fans across the land!
We’ve got one more present for you to unwrap this festive season, and it’s gonna be a good one…
Tune into ABC and iview this coming Sunday 20 December at 6pm for The Sound: Making Gravy Christmas Special – inspired by one of Australia’s most iconic songwriters and featuring performances by:
- Paul Kelly: Australia’s greatest and most enduring songwriter, responsible for the iconic ‘How to Make Gravy’ song, typically takes his spectacular Making Gravy outdoor live shows across the nation each December. Tune in this Sunday to watch previously unseen live footage, captured at Kelly’s incredible sold-out Gravy show at The Domain, Sydney
- Recorded at Hamer Hall, Melbourne, with the 45–piece Orchestra Victoria, we get a sneak peek at The Teskey Brothers’ upcoming YouTube special (live 22 December). Run Home Slow has been acclaimed as one of the best records of 2020
- Baker Boy with Dallas Woods feat. Sampa The Great – filmed at VIC’s sacred Hanging Rock and, incredibly, with a shoot also taking place in Botswana, this performance of the ultra-smooth ‘Better Days’ threads together Yolngu Matha, English and Bemba languages in an incredible mix… this is one exclusive you don’t want to miss!
- Brisbane popstersBall Park Music released their latest record Ball Park Music – The Album back in October to much fanfare. We caught up with the band at Brisbane venue The Triffid this week, to catch them performing new single ‘Cherub’
- It’s been a huge year for Vika & Linda. They entertained us with weekly lockdown performances from home, while their gorgeous gospel album Sunday (The Gospel According To Iso) debuted at #2. It wouldn’t be Making Gravy without them so don’t miss them performing one of their most-loved hits, filmed at Melbourne’s St Michael Uniting Church
- Promising new music in 2021 is multi-award winner Dan Sultan, joined on The Sound this week with Darwin’s Leah Flanagan. Dan performs a stunning version of his ode to inner-city Melbourne – ‘Old Fitzroy’, captured live at the Hayden Orpheum Picture Palace in Cremorne, NSW
- Hey ho let’s go! Alex Lahey loves Christmas songs – so much so that she released her own version of the Ramones’ classic ‘Merry Christmas (I Don’t Want To Fight Tonight)’. We catch Alex at Melbourne’s Sidney Myer Music Bowl
- Acclaimed singer/songwriter Alex The Astronaut released her debut record The Theory of Absolutely Nothing in 2020, scoring a triple j Feature Album. She joins us to perform her latest song ‘I Think You’re Great’, live from Brisbane’s Riverstage
On set with The Teskey Brothers with Orchestra Victoria
That’s it for us in 2020. A huge thank you to each of the performers and special guest hosts who’ve appeared on The Sound to date… It’s been a pleasure working with you – and we look forward to doing it all again!
Lastly, to our viewers: thank you for embracing our new live music TV show so warmly. Much of The Sound was produced in Melbourne, during a harsh COVID lockdown. We’ve received thousands of messages and social media posts and reading how much you’ve loved tuning into The Sound each week has made it even more worthwhile.
Don’t miss The Sound: Making Gravy Christmas Special – Sunday 20 December at 6pm on ABC and iview.
THE SOUND-SEASON 2
MAKING GRAVY CHRISTMAS SPECIAL
SUNDAY 20 DECEMBER, 6PM ON ABC TV + iview
REPEATS SATURDAY 26 DECEMBER, 1:30PM
THE TESKEY BROTHERS with ORCHESTRA VICTORIA
BAKER BOY with DALLAS WOODS featuring SAMPA THE GREAT
BALL PARK MUSIC
VIKA & LINDA
DAN SULTAN with LEAH FLANAGAN
ALEX THE ASTRONAUT
JANE GAZZO and BRIDGET HUSTWAITE
FOLLOW THE SOUND
STAY CONNECTED WITH BLACK OF HEARTS